Tuesday, January 27, 2009

BROOKLYN BRIDGE


Yesterday Ursula and Sheda (not sure about spelling,) two au pairs from my area went to New York City. It was great weather, blue skys with a little bit of sun but still COLD. It was perfect day for Winter really. We bused in from "Willbrook Mall" and we went straight to an Ethiopian Restuarant. A restuarant that Ursula and Lina spoke about alot. So we thought we would give it a go....! Anyway it wasn't bad, very different to what we normally eat but was good for some reason. There were no knife and folks they use this savoury style pancake instead, and you take some of your pancake and just grab some of your meat and then eat it. It's unsual but fun. It was good I like it. Ursula however ate a big chilli, and burnt her whole mouth, poor girl it would have been on fire.


Our next stop was back to the bus and subway terminal to catch a subway to the Brooklyn Bridge. That was easy and fun, first time on a subway too! It's a day for FIRSTS. The bridge wasnt far from where we got off the subway. The area before the bridge was beautiful, tall buildings, nice trees. Was good I liked it. Anyway we started walking the bridge and I started to freeze, hahaha GREAT I should have brought that extra coat! I took so many photos. The bridge is quit big actually. You walk in the middle of the bridge and over the traffic, there we 3-4 lanes both ways. Was a little scary having fast cars below you. The view was just great, you could see so far and just a great way to see what Brooklyn and Manhatten really look like from a distance. It's HUGE!! I had so much fun. It was a little windy on the bridge but I was so rugged up I could just feel it. We walked the whole bridge, which didnt take us that long really I was expected it to take forever. Haha!








Manhatten Side

Brooklyn Side

Statue of Liberty with the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background (HAHAHA - no I dont know what bridge that is)


Anyway once we got into Brooklyn we were suppose to take a subway back to Ground Zero but instead we went the opposite direction. We suddenly landed in the middle of Brooklyn. Oh well, what a great way to see another part of town. Its a cool place and I finally got my Dunkin Donut :) YES a glazed and a jelly (jam.) They were so good, worth the wait I think. Once we scoffed that down we had a little look around and then headed back to Manhatten. We got off the subway and there was a man singing, gosh he was really really good! We have him some money, he was singing songs like; I cant remember, good old songs! And he wasnt using a mircophone, it was just his voice it was really good!!! I could have listened to him all day. :)



have a little stop in another sourenir shop, I think I have got lots of things now. So thats good! Then we headed to the Virgin Mega Store (a music place,) which was out last stop. It was huge! The stories of cd's, dvd's and clothing. It was good in there. :) I didnt buy anything though.

We headed to the bus terminal and waited for our bus, we were so tired. So much walking, on the way home we nearly all fell alseep.

It was a great day, I loved it!!! I'll cherish those memories and photos forever. Wonderful! Everyone should walk the bridge it really is a great viewing point.

Back at home (New Jersey) the ice is melting, and the grass is showing! They do actually having grass :O The snow is melting and is turning into deadly ice. I fell over the other day, wasnt good I landed on my knee which now have a huge bruise on it :( I have learnt now though I hope, to be careful!!


6 comments:

  1. wow sair that bridge looks fantastic ... so big bet it was scarey climbing a bridge with cars and water under you..but it would have been great.. to see..your not scared of heights are you? wow at least now you can say you've been to Brooklyn and Manhatten thats great! lovely photos once again. Gosh it must of been cold that jumper your wearing looks pretty wooly anyway! Hope your knee is okay from the little slide on the ice.. you would of been like the polar bear sliding on the snow/ice on the air con add do u kno the one?? hahahah.. funnyyy
    !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beware of the ice!!! What a fantastic experience you're having, dear. The bridge looks magnificent framing the big apple. Keep warm. So extreme to here at the moment, being soo hot!
    Have another donut for me!
    Love Mummy Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi love. oh my god the photos you are taking are absolutely amazing!! you are such a fantastic photographer!!! i'm so getting them blown up and put all over my house you will have to sign the bottom of them lol. sounds like you had a great day babe.. how cool of you to try that pancake food. good on you! it would be nice to have the girls with you going out to all these new places and to have a rest from the kids. try and see as much as you can while your there. the snow looks absolutely gorgeous! it's freaking 41 here today. were all melting back home!!!!
    keep smiling babe and keep blogging i get so excited to see a new one!!!
    love you xxxx
    leash

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha your funny leash yeh i'll keep blogging! :)
    The bridge was awesome, I was a little scared but its not wobble as Jess said haha so I felt good.
    I'm having an awesome time in the cold while you guys back home, melt! i hope you are ok.
    Sure will have another donut for you mum, ill have a few :) hehe
    My knee is alright, annoymous! Still bruised and looks terrible but its good. HAhahah yeh i was a little less graceful as the polar bear from that add, i was like; oh no, yep im falling lol!!!!
    Anyway gota go guys, have a great daY!
    sair xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi sair wow I have just caught up on your blog its is so good and a good diary to keep all your memories and experiences. Are you sure you want to come home?? Your photos are amazing of all the scenery and buildings etc. Keep taking lots of photos they are fantastic. Ok dont break any bones sking will you bye for now cheriexx

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey sarah,

    i havent been back to ny since we went with school, hopefully ill go nxt weekend. i cant wait! the brooklyn bridge looks great - good 2 see ur having so much fun! The Ethiopian place sounds good, do u remember the address?
    take care
    amanda x

    ReplyDelete